Ponce De Leon Park

Atlanta, GA

Team: Atlanta Black Crackers Opening Day: May 23, 1907
Capacity: 8,000 (1907-23) 14,500 (1923-64) Dimensions: LF 365 CF 462 RF 321 (1923-50), LF 330 CF 410 RF 321 (1951-64)
Cost: $60,000 (1906) $250,000 (1923) AKA: Spiller Park (1924 - 1932)
Fire: September 9, 1923 Torn Down: 1967

In 1906, the Atlanta Crackers were purchased from Consolidated by the Georgia Railway and Electric Company, and they were moved into a new ballpark. In 1923, the park caught fire, and was rebuilt with concrete and steel. It was named after club president Tell J. Spiller. There was a huge magnolia tree that grew in deep right center and was in play. The tree is pictured below (the one in the background).

2007-17 Paul Healey.